Wednesday, 23 October 2013

A year of managing our money more wisely

Wow, I can't believe it has been exactly a year since I last posted. How weird is that. I didn't even look at this blog until today, partly because I have been busy doing the things I said I would do!

We have been trying really hard to look after our money more wisely.  You penny-wise people would be so proud of us.  Everyone else can learn from my mistakes.

  • The money meetings we instituted a while ago were very useful in improving our communication around money. We don't have them as often any more, but that is because we no longer feel like money is a separate topic that is somehow hived off from the rest of our lives. 
  • We had a windfall that meant that we could be less stressed about money for a while, but my attitude to this windfall is completely different than it would have been two years ago.  Instead of immediately planning how to spend it, we have saved a lot of it in various places, and are spending some of it on essential household maintenance. 
  • We have set up a regular payment into a tracker fund. I cannot believe it took me a whole year to do that but it did.
  • We have also started tracking our net worth, and keeping an eye on how much pension we will get when we retire and the value of the children's savings for university.  I don't think the actual figure is very important at this early stage (and if I did I would be freaking out, trust me), but I would like to see it going up rather than down.  And up quickly, if possible.  
More posts later about other efforts we have made over the past year. I'm proud of how far we have come, but we have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment